Obtain and prepare specimens for laboratory testing. Perform clerical functions in the entry of laboratory data, reporting, and posting of laboratory reports. . Assists the Assistant Phlebotomy Supervisor and Technical Specialist in training and monitoring of employees.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Collects, transports and receives specimens with knowledge regarding age specific laboratory needs of the patient and with knowledge regarding transporting requirements to maintain specimen integrity.
- Performs clerical duties necessary to process laboratory specimens and reports.
- Performs Breath Alcohol Test and Urine DOT Drug Screen Collections. Performs duties on both campuses, Nursing Homes, Emergency Room and Outpatient Drawing Stations.
- Inventories and stocks supplies. Checks, inspects and ensures proper storage and handling.
- Trains and/or orients new employees Organizes the workflow of the section.
- Maintains competency in and performs therapeutic phlebotomy.
- Responsible for all documentation required for the tasks performed.
- Assists the Assistant Phlebotomy Supervisor and Technical Specialist in training of pre-analytical employees.
- Is in charge of phlebotomy operations in the absence of the Administrative Supervisor, Assistant Supervisor, Technical Specialist
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
High school graduate or possess a GED certificate. Certification by a nationally recognized phlebotomy agency (ASPT, NCA, ASCP, AMT) preferred but not required. Must be able to operate general office equipment, appropriate laboratory equipment, computers and/or an automobile.
Must have mobility sufficient to move about including standing, reaching, stooping/crouching, bending, lifting, turning and handling. Able to stand, walk, and sit for long periods of time. Is able to lift a maximum of 50 pounds with frequent lifting and/or carrying objects weighing over 10 pounds. Vision and hearing must be normal or corrected to within normal. Normal color vision for those tasks requiring color differentiation.
Includes exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, laboratory chemicals and hazardous material. Requires wearing common protective or safety equipment. Physical presence on site is essential. Able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation.
Frequent interaction with others in the Laboratory and other departments in person, by telephone or by email, to resolve issues with patient care that are impacted by laboratory testing. Due to the emotional and/or emergency nature of patient care some customers may be unpleasant, angry or discourteous in their requests for Laboratory services.
KEY WORD SEARCH
Phlebotomist, Lab Technician
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.