The Nurse Manager is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of the care provided on the patient care unit(s) that is consistent with the Mission and Vision of DCH Health System. The Nurse Manager assures their unit/area of responsibility is aligned in achieving the organizational expectations/goals related to the 5 Keys of Excellence (patients, employees/volunteers, physicians and clinical excellence) and fiscal responsibility. The Nurse Manager is responsible for 24 hour management of the patient care area. The Nurse Manager supports optimal care that requires specialized knowledge, critical thinking and skills based on evidenced based practice. The Nurse Manager demonstrates the attributes of Servant Leadership, communicates clearly and motivates others to achieve outcomes. The Nurse Manager serves as the chief recruitment and retention officer for their unit or area of responsibility. The Nurse Manager reports to a Director of Nursing.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Develops, manages, and evaluates unit/area of responsibility budget
- Interviews, selects, hires, and retains employees [including other management positions].
- Ensures orientation and training for employees, [including other management positions]
- Manages performance, [including other management positions]
- Promotes, demotes, or transfers employees to meet organizational needs, [including other management
- Executes progressive discipline up to and including termination
- Manages departmental productivity standards
- Serves as the Chief Recruitment and Retention officer in area of responsibility/unit
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Approves payroll and is responsible for accurate payment of employees, including other management positions
- Assures meeting/exceeding of DCH Mission and Vision, departmental goals and 5 Keys of Excellence.
- Demonstrates the provision of the Mission and Vision of DCH Health System by providing leadership and innovation within areas of responsibility.
- Performs all duties according to policy and procedure.
- Identifies customer needs, develops and implements services and processes to meet these needs.
- Achieves continuous systematic, measurable improvement in areas of responsibility.
- Leads and participates in organizational change.
- Sets performance standards for staff. Develops working environment and avenues for education and training to meet those standards.
- Achieves federal, state, local and third party regulatory requirements.
- Inspires pride in the organization and takes corrective action when organizational values are compromised.
- Implements communication mechanism within areas of responsibility whereby, employees, physicians, patients and families feel they are listened to, understood and understand messages sent.
- Treats people fairly and with respect. Treats unsatisfactory performance (both clinical and behavioral) firmly and fairly with appropriate confidentiality according to JUST CULTURE and DCH progressive discipline process.
- Provides performance feedback on a regular basis.
- Able to resolve conflict timely and effectively.
- Provides resources and systems for employees to perform.
- Develops, administers and evaluates strategies and goals for Patient Care Services that are aligned with the Mission, Vision and System-wide Goals of DCH Health Care, the DCH 5 Keys to Excellence and DCH
- Assist with the establishment of patient care mechanisms for review and evaluation of care rendered.
- Identifies deficiencies in care and creates, implements and evaluates action plans to eliminate deficiencies identified.
- Collaborates with physicians in establishing and maintaining effective, professional nurse/physician relationships.
- Assists with developing, administering and monitoring salary and equipment budgets.
- Participates in community programming as appropriate
- Promotes and supports independent, autonomous nursing judgement, priority setting and critical thinking skills
- Influences behaviors by: inspiring a shared vision for the department, role modeling passion about the mission, vision and values and incorporates as own, celebrating successes and accomplishments, providing timely feedback when goals are not met, and conducting purposeful counseling/coaching sessions with direct reports. Hardwires Back to Basics, Relationship Based Care Principles and Safe Patient Handling and Mobility practices including but not limited to: hourly rounding, beside report, documenting at the bedside, caring moment, AIDET, safe alarms monitoring, use of mobility devices and infection prevention principles
- Follows up on patient concerns in a timely manner, closes the loop, documents such, analyzes reports for trends and plans improvement actions.
- Escalates concerns, issues etc. appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Embraces performance improvement. Creates a roadmap for department, based on patient population served, recent outcomes and the organizations performance improvement strategy.
- Accountable for steady improvement in publicly reported quality metrics.
- Serves as the Safety Officer for the unit/area of responsibility. Leads efforts to reduce risks.
- Promotes a “Speak Up” culture.
- Promotes multidisciplinary approach for caring for those we serve throughout the entire continuum of care.
- Is visible and accessible to staff.
- Honors diversity.
- Models behavior that invites colleague interaction and demonstrates mutuality.
- Builds trusting, collaborative relationships with staff, peers, physicians and administration.
- Supports shared accountability structure.
- Assures availability of supplies, resources and equipment.
- Serves as cheer leader for initiatives and fosters team members that help maintain and boost morale.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Registered Nurse with current Alabama License. Anyone hired after October 1, 2015 must have a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Health Related Field or must be actively working on bachelor’s degree with completion date within 4 years of hire, 2 years’ experience as a registered nurse. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills - both written and verbal. Excellent team building and relationship building skills. Displays diversity and cultural competence with particular ability to adapt to the needs of a diverse work-force. Demonstrates critical thinking, analytical, problem solving, leadership and decision making skills. Requires exceptional customer service skills and ability to work as a member of a cohesive team. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.