Provides compassionate personal care and support services under the supervision of a registered nurse that assists the patient in the achievement of physical and emotional comfort and healing.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES/ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Provides all personal care services in accordance with the plan of treatment assigned by the registered nurse to include but not limited to:
2. Accurately documents care provided according to policies and procedures.
3. Applies safety principles when performing care such as ambulation of patients, transferring patients, assisting with normal range of motion and positioning.
4. Participates in economical utilization of supplies and ensures that equipment and nursing units are maintained in a clean, safe manner.
5. Consistently performs basic care requirements such as rounding, use of AIDET, applying the “4 Ps” (Pain, Position, Potty, Proximity of items); prompt response to patient needs; performance of hand hygiene; use of two patient identifiers, etc.
6. Assists in performance improvement (PI) activities by serving on PI teams as warranted, assisting with PI measures and supporting and implementing changes necessary for improvement.
- measure and record intake and output
- measure and record vital signs, 02 Saturation, weight and height
- positioning patients; lifting and turning patients
- applying/utilizing special equipment
- assisting in use of bedpan, urinal or commode
- ambulating the patient
- pre-operative and post-operative care
- application/removal of anti-embolism stocking and SCD devices
- removal of foley catheters
- perineal care; vaginal irrigations (non-sterile) and sitz baths
- non-medicated enemas
- application of heat and cold
- care of the incontinent patient
- skin care to the immobilized patient
- removal of saline lock
- emptying of colostomy bags
- application of appliances for heat and cold
- performing blood sugars
- placing patients on cardiac monitors
- set up of oxygen equipment
- feeding patients
- collecting, labeling, and transporting of lab specimens.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
High school education or equivalent required. Candidates with patient care experience, those currently enrolled in a nursing program or those with prior customer service experience are preferred. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak, and comprehend English.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Communicate with different personalities and engage in face to face discussion
- Dealing with unpleasant or physically aggressive personalities
- Must be able to deal with conflict
- Must be able to communicate clearly and accurately
- Must be able to receive delegation
- Must be able to work in groups
- Must be able to perform structured and unstructured work
- Must be meet time pressure and time lines
- Must be able to perform in exact and accurate manner
- Must be able to use electronic mail, telephone and texting
- Includes possible exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, lab chemicals and hazardous materials and/or cleaning solutions
- Requires wearing of common protective and safety equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, mask, gowns, etc.
KEY WORD SEARCH
Patient Care Assistant, PCA, Nursing Assistant, CNA
- Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Must be able to tolerate prolonged periods of standing and walking
- Must be able to reach reasonable distances in any direction
- Must be able to stand, walk, kneel, bend, sit, stoop and lift
- Must be able to run in an emergency
- Must be able to move fingers in a coordinated manner and must be able to feel and perceive temperature, texture, shape and size with fingertips
- Must be able to perform the duties with or without reasonable accommodation
- Hearing and vision must be normal or corrected to within normal range
- Must possess stamina to work 12-hour shift
- Physical presence onsite is essential