The Registered Respiratory Therapist or Certified Respiratory Therapist provides services to adult through neonatal patients. They provide general respiratory therapy, critical care, and limited diagnostics. Therapists are expected to work and respond to all areas of the hospital.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES / ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Performs and accurately records technical procedures safely, effectively, efficiently, and within scope of policy
- Gives rationale for actions, decisions, and clinical care, based on scientific principles, clinical practice guidelines, or successful experience
- Patient care procedures include but not limited to the following:
- Oxygen/Aerosol Therapy
- Bronchial Hygiene
- Postural Drainage and Percussion
- Intermittent Positive Pressure Breathing
- Intrapulmonary Percussive Ventilation
- Emerson Cough Assist
- Aerosolized Medications
- Hand Held Nebulizer
- Metered Dose Inhaler
- Dry Powder Inhaler
- Adult/Pediatric/Neonatal Critical Care
- Mechanical ventilation including transport
- Blood collection and analysis
- Emergency tracheostomy tube replacement
- Bedside Pulmonary Function Testing
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Requires decision making that will affect others
- Responsible to achieve outcomes
- Must be able to communicate clearly and accurately
- Ability to delegate to team members and students
- Must be able to receive delegation
- Address conflict and stressful situation
- Communicate with different personalities and engage in face to face discussion
- Dealing with unpleasant or verbally/physically aggressive personalities
- Must be able to use electronic mail, telephone and texting
- Must be able to work in groups
- Must be able to perform structured and unstructured work
- Participates in call rotation as needed for patient care
- Must be meet time pressure and time lines
- Includes possible exposure to human body fluids, disease, infection, lab chemicals and hazardous materials and/or cleaning solutions
- Requires wearing of common protective and safety equipment such as gloves, safety glasses, mask, gowns, etc.
- Maintains performance, patient and employee satisfaction and financial standards as outlined in the performance evaluation.
- Performs compliance requirements as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Must adhere to the DCH Behavioral Standards including creating positive relationships with patients/families, coworkers, colleagues and with self.
- Requires use of electronic mail, time and attendance software, learning management software and intranet.
- Must adhere to all DCH Health System policies and procedures.
- All other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
1. Current Alabama Respiratory Care licensure.
2. Holds active credential of Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) or Certified Respiratory Therapist (CRT) or will be credentialed within one year of graduation.
3. Associate Degree in Respiratory Therapy, Bachelor’s degree preferred
4. Membership in appropriate professional organization (i.e. American Association for Respiratory Care, Alabama Society for Respiratory Care) is strongly encouraged
5. BCLS provider
6. PALS preferred for staff working in the Emergency Department.
7. Must be able to read, write legibly, speak and comprehend English.
8. ACLS within 90 days of employment ( beginning and forward from 01/31/2020)
9. Responsible for obtaining needed continuing education for licensure