Tuscaloosa Children’s Theatre (TCT) is searching for a full-time Executive Director.
About Tuscaloosa Children’s Theatre
Founded in 1986, TCT is a 501(c)3 located in Tuscaloosa/Northport, Alabama and operates with an annual budget of approximately $195,000. TCT was founded by a group of parents, educators and theatre professionals who identified a need for the youth of Tuscaloosa to have opportunities to perform.
TCT is a largely volunteer organization with an active board that puts on three children’s stage productions each year, after-school performing arts classes throughout the year along with summer camps and spring break workshops.
TCT maintains a rental building for offices, rehearsals and camps, an extensive costume warehouse, and a separate set construction workshop. TCT is partnering with the Saban Center and anticipates moving our office and rehearsal space into the facility located in downtown Tuscaloosa after completion of that building in 2026. The Saban Center will also house a state-of-the-art theatre and stage which TCT will have access to for performances.
TCT is West Alabama’s premiere performing arts organization dedicated to providing educational programs and theatrical experiences for all Alabama families. Through outreach efforts, community-building fundamentals, and the benefits of live theatre arts, TCT strives to provide the best opportunities that build well-rounded young artists who will lead this community’s bright future and beyond!
The Executive Director (ED) will report to the Board of Directors (Board) and will be responsible for the strategic, programmatic, and financial operations of the organization, ensuring accountability for effectiveness of programs and maintaining high standards for excellence. The ED will be the main point of contact with the Saban Center and will manage the day-to-day operation of the organization along with other duties not listed that may arise. The TCT Board expects high ethical standards and personal integrity among all employees.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Generate revenue with an emphasis on grant writing, fundraising and donor management
- Work collaboratively with the Board and staff to build upon the vision for the organization and to strive forward with a focused strategy
- Recruit, develop, empower and retain an engaged and experienced staff in a supervisory capacity
- Cultivate and maximize relationship with the Saban Center
- Develop annual budget driving TCT’s internal operational efficiencies
- Serve as a spokesperson, representing and promoting TCT to the community
- Review and negotiate contracts
- Collaborate and communicate regularly with the Artistic Director, and all staff
- Develop and implement good theatre management practices
Essential Job Functions
- Bachelor’s degree required, master's degree in theatre management and administration or equivalent (preferred, but not required)
- Administrative experience in a non-profit setting, theatre arts preferred but not required
- Experience in grant development and writing
- Demonstrated skills in fundraising, financial management, marketing and public relations, effective time management and organization
- Ability to effectively represent and promote TCT in our local community
- Effective computer skills in word processing, database, spreadsheet, social media, and website management.
- Ability to grow with the organization as it moves forward in its affiliation with the Saban Center
- Experience with Quickbooks is preferred
The position of Executive Director requires the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations: Communicate orally; communicate in writing, read and interpret, communicate with auditory skills; visual ability, manual dexterity; exhibit emotional control and stability; stress management and coping ability; demonstrate knowledge of the English language including grammar, word usage, syntax, and sentence structure; mastery of appropriate computer operation and skills; operate a motor vehicle; ability to lift and move materials weighing up to 25 pounds; sit for extended periods of time, stand for extended periods of time; capable of mobility; bend; kneel, reach; utilize telephone system; utilize and fully maintain filing systems; possess basic mathematical skills; operate standard business office machines
This is a full-time position. Hours can vary depending on organization’s needs with some weeks requiring more hours than others. The ED is expected to be present at TCT performances, events and meetings, some of which will take place outside of traditional office hours. This position offers a hybrid work environment. While office hours are required, this position can also work remotely.
At this exciting time in its history, TCT seeks a full-time Executive Director who will provide leadership for the mission and vision of TCT and its continued success. This position will provide a salary of $55,000 and a benefits package to be determined. Interviews are on a rolling basis as applications are received.
Candidates should submit a one-page cover letter, a resume and three references electronically to email@example.com.